Down to their last penny, Jon and Melissa are selling their hair. His and hers heads of long tresses are on the auction block for sale to the highest bidder right now. Parents of two children, thirteen and six years old, the couple has seen their finances stretched to the limit since Jon was laid off from his manager services technician job in February of this year. As the customer base dwindled in the economy, service demands plummeted, and Jon was no longer needed. Since then, they've cut expenditures to the bone fiercely trying to keep their home together for their family.
Melissa explained, " I know how to live on a very small and tight budget, our ends have been meeting -- but not overlapping -- which means we can't afford for anyone to get sick or anything to break. I just DIY'ed some car repairs, myself, this week and hope they hold while Jon goes back to school to get another tech certification he needs to make himself marketable again. Jon is constantly sending out his resume without getting any results." If successful, this money could be a sorely needed cushion in case something unexpected happens or a back-up to make it just a little longer. Until the economy improves, until Jon can find another job, until something changes for the better; right now this is their best, most creative hope.
Melissa says, " First, I lurked at the hair trader for several weeks to get a feel for what sells hair the easiest and for good cash. Then, I registered. Then, I cried about it. Then, Jon said that he didn't want to see me cry and that he would rather sell his own hair than have me sad. Then, I asked him what if he was like Samson from the Bible and I cried again over his selflessness.Then, I told him we could do a "his and hers auction" , and to make it bearable, we made a wager on who would make the most. Then, last night we took pics, listed our hair and I woke up to an offer. It's not a true auction and the person may just be messing with me, but I hope it is legit. I would wear a do-rag till my hair grew back, in fact, I already have a beautiful tie dyed silk scarf with hand rolled hem that I love and would make a nice turban."
This morning's offer was from a couple willing to pay $2300 for the pleasure of buzzing Melissa's and Jon's heads themselves. It's hard not to miss the streak of cruelty in this "fun" offer. It could be a hoax; yet, they are considering accepting the mean offer. $2300 could be stretched to last as long as possible; and after all, what is crueler than worrying about how to feed, shelter and keep your children healthy?
Their story probably isn't newsworthy but I thought it was definitely worth sharing over my blog.I've become acquainted with Melissa through a chatline about books that I've chatted on for over ten years. She's been there too - through the birth of her last child, six years ago- "better times" - as Melissa would say. She and Jon are deeply committed to their family and their marriage, a strong relationship not marred by drugs or even smoking. That's a plus, they think, because it even means their hair is healthier. I'm pulling for them and hope their hair sells. Desperate times call for desperate, creative solutions. Could Jon and Melissa be you tomorrow? Someone you love? I hope not, but if so, I'm pulling for you too.
Visit ForeverAlluring.com to List Your Hair For Free. No Hidden Costs.
- Devonia
Find all your Fashion + Beauty + Health Products @ ForeverAlluring.com
0 comments:
Post a Comment